20 “Tough” Guys Who Just Needed a Pet to Soften Their Hearts a Bit
If your dad refused to let you get a pet when you were young, you’re not alone. There are many people who during their entire childhood begged to have a little pet at home but took years to convince their parents to make that dream come true. And when this longed-awaited pet finally arrived, those tough dads turned out to be the first ones to fall in love. In fact, they became best friends.
Bright Side compiled a bunch of pictures that prove the love that grows between some pets and their beloved dads is even stronger when the initial refusal turns into a “Gimme a cuddle!”
1. “He’s only going to be in the way, I’ll step on him.”
2. “He was a firm opponent of the hairless cat but skin to skin is the best way to connect.”
3. “No matter how much I begged, my dad never let me have a pet when I was younger. This is him dragging my cat in a box (which he named The Kitty Express) while making train noises and laughing like a child.”
4. “My dad: ’CAN WE RETURN IT??? IF WE KEEP IT, IT CAN’T GO ON THE FURNITURE AND I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.’ My dad, out loud, mere days later: ’Let’s move this pillow to give you more room. Are you comfy? Do you want some pets? Let’s read together.’”
5. “It took 3 years to convince him since ’he’s more of a cat person.’ He finally agreed as long as the pup wasn’t allowed on the bed or any furniture. This is now what I wake up to every morning.”
6. “Dad went from: ’You’re taking him with you when you leave,’ to ’Are you really gonna take him with you?’”
7. He still doesn’t admit he loves his cat.
8. “’I’m a cat person,’ he said. Now he says, ’Where’s Penny?! I need Penny! I can’t sleep without my doggy!’”
9. “’We are never getting a cat.’ - my husband”
10. “He never wanted an animal in the house and now they have matching sweaters!”
11. “My husband ’doesn’t like cats’ and refused to let me get a kitty for the longest time. He now gives the kitten a dab of cream cheese every morning and naps with him on the couch but insists that he doesn’t like the little dude.”
12. “My sister told me I should post our dad on here. Our dad used to always say, ’I don’t want animals at home!’ I just received this picture. Also, he told my mom that the dogs are all his.”
13. “My dad-who-did-not-want-pets comforting a scared pup on his first vet trip”
14. “My husband is allergic and hates cats.”
15. “Dad: ’If we get a tortoise I’m not looking after it.’ Also Dad: ’Get comfy, Hector, and let me show you pictures of your brethren.’”
16. “My dad: ’No, we’re not getting another dog!!’ Also my dad:”
17. “Dad: ’No cats allowed in this house!’ Also dad: paints picture of our cats to hang at home...”
18. “’She can stay for 2 weeks,’ turned into him telling her it hurts when she doesn’t hug him on Christmas (2005)”
19. “ME: ’I don’t want a new bird, they’ll only bond with you and want nothing to do with me!’ NEW BIRD:”
20. “My boyfriend who thought all cats were evil is now doing indoor rock climbing to reach her. Why? Because he wanted to kiss her forehead.”
Did your parents allow you to have pets when you were a kid? And when you finally got one, how did it all change? Let us know in the comments and post pictures of those dads whose hearts melted!