20+ Powerful Historical Photos Truly Exciting Movies Could Be Based On
In order to go back to the past, you don’t need to invent a time machine. All you have to do is take a look at old photos that will transport you to the times when the trees were higher and the people were kinder. Historical photos allow us to feel like the people that lived 40, 50, 60, or even 100 years ago.
Bright Side dove into the dusty archives and found emotional, shocking, and funny pictures that tell us more about the lives of our ancestors.
1. An English sailor returned home from a long journey, 1966
Anthony Bennet spent 14 months at sea and the first thing he did when he was back on land, he started kissing his wife. He probably wasn’t used to being a father: this is the first time he met his 7-month-old son.
2. German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, touches the scepter of a Carnival prince during the annual Carnival reception at the Chancellery on February 19, 2019.
3. “Miss New Zealand” fainted during the “Miss World” event, 1954
4. Charmion was the first female bodybuilder in the US. She entertained the public by lifting heavy weights. Taken circa 1897.
5. Marilyn Monroe gave a speech in front of thousands of American soldiers in Korea in 1954.
6. The headquarters of Mussolini’s Italian Fascist Party, 1934
7. The first American astronauts, 1959
8. Statue of Liberty Toes and the base of the torch on the ground in preparation for being hoisted into position onto the pedestal, Bedloe’s Island, 1900
9. Muhammad Ali knocks out Cleveland Williams, 1966
10. Nighttime fishing in Hawaii, 1948
11. Bill and Hillary Clinton attend an official lunch. At this time, the US Senate had been reviewing the possibility of Clinton’s resignation because of his connection with Monica Lewinsky, 1998
12. King Olav V of Norway rides the subway during the oil crisis of 1973. The ticket collector offered him a free ride, but Olav insisted on paying the ticket fare.
13. The University of Texas women’s track team at practice in 1964
14. Russian cosmonaut, Yuri Gagarin, driving through the streets of London in a convertible with a personalized license plate ’YG 1′, 1961
YG are Gagarin’s initials and 1 means that he was the first person in space.
15. Soviet Union fiancés and their brides are in line to get married, 1973
16. Homecoming prisoners of war, Vienna, 1947. The mother of a soldier is showing a photo of her son hoping that someone has seen him.
17. Sculpting begins on the face of Mount Rushmore in the Black Hills National Forest of South Dakota, 1927
18. A man begging for his wife’s forgiveness inside Divorce Court, 1948
19. “Hand of God” is probably one of the most famous goals in the history of the sport, 1986
In the game against England, Diego Maradona scored a goal with his hand and the referee though it was with his head. So, Argentina beat England 2:1. Diego himself said it was the Hand of God.
20. American trade unions strike against Prohibition, 1931
21. French civilians shave the head of a young woman as punishment for her involvement with the Germans during World War II, 1944
22. “The Kiss of Life,” electrician Jay Thompson is giving mouth-to-mouth to his colleague, Randall Champion, who was electrocuted, 1968
The story ended well: Thompson managed to bring his friend back to life.
23. French miners went underground along with carthorses, the 1940s
When you were in school, did you love school history lessons or did you think that this subject was boring? We are sure that these photos might spark an interest, even in the people that never liked history.
Preview photo credit AxlCobainVedder / Reddit